Re: licensing software engineers (was Re: [XP] IEEE SWEBOK Is Looking for Reviewers--They Don't Even Mention XP, Agile, etc.)

  • Cem Kaner
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 1, 2003
      John Roth said:

      > any company developing software will have
      > to maintain a licensed engineer to oversee the process.

      Cem Kaner responds:

      I'm not sure this is correct. I agree that a company that made
      life-critical software would be foolish to not have a licensed engineer
      as overseer. But for commercial software -- unless there is a
      regulation or law that I am unaware of -- no such legal requirement
      exists. Unless the company promises the use of licensed engineers in
      its warranties (not likely) or is otherwise required by contract to
      have an engineer, a software publisher will not be required to use
      licensed engineers.

      Are you aware of a statute or regulation that would require this?

      On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 12:50 PM, yahoogroups@... wrote:

> [...]
      Cem Kaner, Professor, Department of Computer Sciences,
      Florida Institute of Technology, 150 West University Blvd.
      Melbourne, FL 32901.
      Senior author of
      Lessons Learned in Software Testing
      Testing Computer Software, and
      Bad Software: What to Do When Software Fails.
    • Brian Christopher Robinson
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 2, 2003
        On Sat, 31 May 2003, Cem Kaner wrote:

        > As to the practices that will be required on "licensed" jobs, I think
        > SWEBOK lays out the baseline. A lawsuit for professional negligence
        > asserts that an individual service provider failed to provide services
        > that conform to the accepted minimum standard of competence in the
        > profession.

        With the licensed software engineer held accountable? This would be a
        HUGE change. For instance, as the team lead on a project I certainly
        would not allow the project to be shipped by my manager despite known
        bugs. This is a common enough practice that it strikes true fear into
        me.