Re: licensing software engineers

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      roth wrote:

      > If I hire a company to build a road, there had better be a
      > licensed Civil Engineer somewhere to sign off on the plans,
      > for example. That doesn't, of course, mean that he actually
      > worked on the project, or that anyone on the project was
      > a licensed professional engineer.

      Try this:

      One city/state/fiefdom enacts laws that all code must be architected by a
      Chief Programmer who is immune from lawsuits and who never codes.

      Another fiefdom enacts laws that all code must come from a pair of
      programmers who follow strict test-first rules.

      At the end of 10 years, count the number of lawsuits in each fiefdom,
      divided by the number of people.

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestFirstUserInterfaces