Re: licensing software engineers (was Re: [XP] IEEE SWEBOK Is Looking for Reviewers--They Don't Even Mention XP, Agile, etc.)

  • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 1, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Cem Kaner" <kaner.at.kaner.com@...>
      To: "extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com"
      Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 11:54 AM
      Subject: Re: licensing software engineers (was Re: [XP] IEEE SWEBOK Is
      Looking for Reviewers--They Don't Even Mention XP, Agile, etc.)

      > One factor that is easy to dispose of is that the licensing will not
      > necessarily increase the software publisher's labor cost. In fact, the
      > distinction might help limit costs. The in-house developer need not be
      > licensed. Engineering licensing is different from law and medicine.
      > People do electrical, mechanical, etc. engineering all the time without
      > being licensed as engineers. Relatively few graduates of engineering
      > programs become P.E.'s. Only the independents must be licensed. So the
      > only people at MS (etc) who would have to be licensed would be the
      > independent consultants.

      Not exactly true. It is true that the independents will have to
      be licensed, but any company developing software will have
      to maintain a licensed engineer to oversee the process.

      If I hire a company to build a road, there had better be a
      licensed Civil Engineer somewhere to sign off on the plans,
      for example. That doesn't, of course, mean that he actually
      worked on the project, or that anyone on the project was
      a licensed professional engineer.

      John Roth

    • Brian Christopher Robinson
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 2, 2003
        On Sat, 31 May 2003, Cem Kaner wrote:

        > As to the practices that will be required on "licensed" jobs, I think
        > SWEBOK lays out the baseline. A lawsuit for professional negligence
        > asserts that an individual service provider failed to provide services
        > that conform to the accepted minimum standard of competence in the
        > profession.

        With the licensed software engineer held accountable? This would be a
        HUGE change. For instance, as the team lead on a project I certainly
        would not allow the project to be shipped by my manager despite known
        bugs. This is a common enough practice that it strikes true fear into
        me.