Re: [XP] Adapting Extreme Programming

  • dpoon@romaxtech.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2003
      Hi

      I work in a mechanical engineering software company, and using the lean
      production analogy has been our tactic in selling XP to the management.
      e.g. Design For Manufacture = Design For Testing =TDD, Poka-Yoke = Unit
      Tests

      In my head Ive been trying to square the XP customer with JIT stuff. Seems
      like you have two kinds of customers. Downstream ones that pull product
      features from you, and upstream ones that you pull detailed domain
      knowledge from in order to build the features. We have had problems with
      the role of our customers that this view point seems to smooth out.

      Is this a fair point?

      Regards

      Daniel Poon

      "kentlbeck"
      <kentbeck@... To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      > cc:
      Subject: [XP] Adapting Extreme Programming
      12/05/2003 18:42
      Please respond to
      extremeprogrammin

      I've been thinking about the problems of applying XP to whole
      organizations. Turns out this is ground thoroughly covered by the
      lean production folks.

      Here is a paper I found helpful: http://www.nwlean.net/no_harm.zip.
      The premise is that every step of the transformation must pay for
      itself.

      Getting people to understand that their problems are tractable can
      be hard, I've found. Rob Mee was talking to a guy about TDD on a gig
      of ours recently. "Sure, yeah, TDD is a great idea." "Why don't you
      do it?" "It'll make us go slower." "But it makes you go
      faster." "Yes, of course, but it'll make us go slower." "But it'll
      make you go faster" *iterate N times for annoying large N* "Okay, it
      makes people go faster everywhere but here."

      Kent

      ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com