Re: [XP] billing for XP

  • Clyde Cutting
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2003
      Alex,

      You can probably get some good ideas at the workshop on Agile Contracts
      lead by Mary Poppendieck and Christine Moore at the Agile Development
      Conference this June 25th.
      (http://agiledevelopmentconference.com/schedule/technicalexchange.html#TE1)
      Certainly they'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences and
      contracts, it sounds like you're already in the forefront of addressing
      these issues!

      There is also a pre-conference website at
      http://www.leantoolkit.com/agilecontracts.htm.

      Clyde

      > Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:11:10 -0600
      > From: Alex Pukinskis <alex@...>
      >Subject: billing for XP
      >
      >I was hoping to get some thoughts on billing for XP-style development.
      >
      >I'm specifically interested in feedback from those on the list who work
      >for companies that sell consulting-ware - that is, another company
      >hires your firm to build custom software. Some things I'm interested
      >in:
      >
      >1. How do you bill? Do you bill hourly, per programmer? Weekly or
      >monthly, by the developer, or by the whole team? Do you provide fixed
      >prices for stories? Fixed price per project? What are the advantages
      >and disadvantages of your approach?
      >2. If you bill hourly, do you bill for the Planning Game? The whole
      >8-hour day, or just time spent coding?
      >3. If you bill by larger time units (weeks or months) how do you deal
      >with vacations and holidays? Is December cheaper?
      >4. If you bill by time units, how do you deal with bugs (when they
      >occur)? What sort of warranty do you offer on your code?
      >
      >We currently provide a fixed price per-story during the Planning Game,
      >based on our estimates multiplied by a per-unit fee. This gives the
      >client tight control over costs, but creates some ambiguity since
      >acceptance tests aren't written during the Planning game (perhaps they
      >should be). Generally we reserve the right to revise the estimate if
      >the client gives us details during development that require
      >substantially larger amounts of work. This sometimes creates tension,
      >which is why I'd like to know more about what others are doing.
      >
      >-Alex

      Clyde E. Cutting, Object Technology and XP Consultant
      Join AgileAssessment list! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AgileAssessment/join
      mailto:Clyde.Cutting@...
      Coming soon: http://www.agileassessment.com/
      2225 Scheffer Ave., St. Paul, MN 55116-1161
      phone: (651) 271-5782