Re: Version numbering schemes (was Re: [XP] test-suite as bug-base?)

  • Erik Hanson
    Message 1 of 349 , May 1, 2003
      "Brad Appleton" <brad@...> wrote:
      > What do those you on the list use as your numbering schema
      > so you can uniquely identify every built-version version of
      > the codebase that you need (do you tag/label EVERY version
      > that you build, even if you build every 15 minutes? do you
      > tag/label less frequently? How do you decide if a built
      > snapshot of the codebase should be tagged/labeled or not
      > and what is your convention for the version name/number?

      We label our builds when they are ready to deploy to our internal testing
      server (which is for humans; it's not an integration server). We label them
      like "<project-name>_<iteration-number>_<sequence>" (e.g., "foo_i36_003").

      Our end-user-visible version numbers are the iteration number divided by 10.
      We're on iteration 36 now, so our version number is 3.6.
      Message 349 of 349 , May 16, 2003
        On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 6:41:46 PM, Edmund Schweppe wrote:

        > Ron Jeffries wrote:
        >> On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 12:26:22 PM, George Paci wrote:
        >> > Note that, on the substantive points, I basically agree with you.
        >> Well, as any rational man would ... ;->

        > Who here besides Grady Booch is a Rational man? :-)

        There is a big difference between "rational" and "Rational". ;->

        Example isn't another way to teach, it is the only way to teach. --Albert Einstein