Re: [XP] test-suite as bug-base?

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 349 , May 1, 2003
      On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 02:01:39AM +0200, Pieter Nagel wrote:
      > In practice, I find it best if there is a simple mapping between the file
      > name(s) of a unit and the tests that test it.
      >
      > In practice, I find it best if each test is NOT an arbitrary,
      > self-standing executable. Instead, tests often fall into a few subtypes,
      > each with their own boilerplate and common setup which I prefer to isolate
      > into a "harness" that knows how to run each type of tests.
      >
      > For me, These two factors argue that one's test infrastructure should
      > always be simple enough that simple tools like make/ANT can manage them.

      Sounds like you also want the test infrastructure to be organized (in alignment with) the source code structure and organization. Do you have your tests in the same directories as your code? or do you use a mirror-like structure that looks like the src-tree but in a parallel 'test-tree' structure. E.g., the difference between something like:
      $ROOT/src/pkg1name/{*.java,*_test.java}
      $ROOT/src/pkg2name/{*.java,*_test.java}
      versus
      $ROOT/src/pkg1name/*.java , $ROOT/test/pkg1name/*_test.java
      $ROOT/src/pkg2name/*.java , $ROOT/test/pkg2name/*_test.java

      Or do you do something else entirely?
      Message 349 of 349 , May 16, 2003
        On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 6:41:46 PM, Edmund Schweppe wrote:

        > Ron Jeffries wrote:
        >> On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 12:26:22 PM, George Paci wrote:
        >> > Note that, on the substantive points, I basically agree with you.
        >> Well, as any rational man would ... ;->

        > Who here besides Grady Booch is a Rational man? :-)

        There is a big difference between "rational" and "Rational". ;->

        Example isn't another way to teach, it is the only way to teach. --Albert Einstein