Re: [XP] test-suite as bug-base?

  • Pieter Nagel
    Message 1 of 349 , May 1, 2003
      On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 06:35:37AM -0400, yahoogroups@... wrote:

      > I don't think I'd do that. What I suspect I'd do if I had enough
      > bugs to matter is create a section of my acceptance/unit test
      > procedure for known defects; that is, tests that are known to
      > fail currently. Then I could monitor if their status changes for
      > any reason.

      If I really really had to have a lot of "known to fail" tests, this
      scenario would be a better compromise for me.

      But I would make the semantics of a "known to fail" bug be that if it ever
      happens to pass, the test procedure will raise an error with a message
      like "Yippee! A known bug has been solved. Now go and change the
      declaration of the tests from 'known to fail' to 'must always pass'".

      Else one has the danger of accumulating lots of tests which can merrily
      flip between passing and failing, which would make them absolutely
      worthless.

      --
      ,_
      /_) /| /
      Message 349 of 349 , May 16, 2003
        On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 6:41:46 PM, Edmund Schweppe wrote:

        > Ron Jeffries wrote:
        >> On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 12:26:22 PM, George Paci wrote:
        >> > Note that, on the substantive points, I basically agree with you.
        >> Well, as any rational man would ... ;->

        > Who here besides Grady Booch is a Rational man? :-)

        There is a big difference between "rational" and "Rational". ;->

        Example isn't another way to teach, it is the only way to teach. --Albert Einstein