Industrial Values [Was: Industrial XP]

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kerievsky
      > <joshua@i...> wrote:
      >
      > > I'm extremely delighted with this new approach to the values. It
      > > doesn't force values on a team -- it lets the team embrace the values
      > > that matter most to them. It places plenty of emphasis on the values
      > > before a project begins. It helps a team understand that the values
      > > are more important than the practices.

      I can't figure out why the values exist.

      I am absolutely certain that a great many engineers and managers out there
      need to chant those values. Even playing them lip service would help.

      But they are just not normative. If a team is reckless, they need less
      courage. If the team is in constant mind-meld, they need less communication.

      Obviously every Practice draws from all four Vs.

      But today's Dilbert agrees with me:

      http://www.dilbert.com/

      I take that as a sign.

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestFirstUserInterfaces
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2003

        > > > I'm extremely delighted with this new approach to the values.
        It
        > > > doesn't force values on a team -- it lets the team embrace the
        values
        > > > that matter most to them. It places plenty of emphasis on the
        values
        > > > before a project begins. It helps a team understand that the
        values
        > > > are more important than the practices.
        >
        > I can't figure out why the values exist.

        IMO, the values are there to make sure you do not stray too far off
        process. If you consider making a change (or addition) to The Basic
        12, the new practice should support all the values. If not, the
        change or addition proposed is not supportive of XP and should be
        reexamined.

        Carlton