Re: [XP] Re: XP obstacles, was: alternatives to IXP...

    Message 1 of 48 , May 1, 2003
      On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 11:41:31 PM, CORUM, M E [AG/1000] wrote:

      > Managers are still clinging on to what they heard
      > (from two people out of twelve) eight months ago.

      Your situation is fascinating, and I am so glad I'm not there. Change your
      organization, or change your organization?

      Do only what is necessary. Keep only what you need.
    • Steve Berczuk
      Message 48 of 48 , May 9, 2003
        glenlwood wrote:
        > All these metaphors fall short. I spend most of my days working in
        > high-rise offices. We the final user/customer for the office building
        > are only incidentally thought of when it is constructed. It is built
        > as an empty shell to be furnished and decorated much later for real
        > use. In fact the interior is often being 'refactored' for the
        > changing purposes.
        I agree that the metaphors are not perfect. Metaphors just need to be
        analogous....

        But if you think of the view of Achitecture that Christopher Alexander
        discusses, which is very interactive, or even building a custom house,
        there is a LOT of consideration of the needs of the user (or at least
        the customer).

        > Are the buildings equivalent to the hardware, networks and software
        > that is a given when most of us establish applications to exist
        > within this computing space?

        This leads me to think of an interesting issue: Buildings typically
        survive through many occupants and a long time... Some software does,
        some is made with a particular use in mind (and yet it still lasts a
        LONG TIME...) so the idea of refactoring is important in both building
        construction and software construction.

        --
        Steve Berczuk | steve@... | http://www.berczuk.com
        SCM Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration