Re: [XP] XP obstacles, was: alternatives to IXP...

    Message 1 of 48 , May 1, 2003
      On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 11:09:02 PM, CORUM, M E [AG/1000] wrote:

      > However,
      > since management has made the "improvements" they wanted to make to
      > the process, they aren't asking for or concerned about real metrics
      > showing what is really happening. They were convinced before they
      > even did it that they were doing the right thing.

      If, faced with the metrics, they ignore them, I'm at a loss what to do.

      Fascinating story. Run away?

      FEAR = Fantasy Experienced As Reality
    • Steve Berczuk
      Message 48 of 48 , May 9, 2003
        glenlwood wrote:
        > All these metaphors fall short. I spend most of my days working in
        > high-rise offices. We the final user/customer for the office building
        > are only incidentally thought of when it is constructed. It is built
        > as an empty shell to be furnished and decorated much later for real
        > use. In fact the interior is often being 'refactored' for the
        > changing purposes.
        I agree that the metaphors are not perfect. Metaphors just need to be
        analogous....

        But if you think of the view of Achitecture that Christopher Alexander
        discusses, which is very interactive, or even building a custom house,
        there is a LOT of consideration of the needs of the user (or at least
        the customer).

        > Are the buildings equivalent to the hardware, networks and software
        > that is a given when most of us establish applications to exist
        > within this computing space?

        This leads me to think of an interesting issue: Buildings typically
        survive through many occupants and a long time... Some software does,
        some is made with a particular use in mind (and yet it still lasts a
        LONG TIME...) so the idea of refactoring is important in both building
        construction and software construction.

        --
        Steve Berczuk | steve@... | http://www.berczuk.com
        SCM Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration