Re: [XP] Space pens [OT] (was: Losing Story Cards)

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2003
      > > http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.htm
      >
      > Thanks for sending this. Too bad the story isn't true!
      >
      > But I really don't understand this logic: "Because of the fire in
      > Apollo 1, in which three Astronauts died, NASA required a writing
      > instrument that would not burn in a 100% oxygen atmosphere."

      This is probably a clumsy way to say the pen should not spark the oxygen and
      start a fire.

      The same rules apply to medical equipment that mustn't spark a patient's
      oxygen supply.

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.greencheese.org/AndNowaNitelyLitelyUrbanOne
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2003
        On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 09:03, Phlip wrote:

        > > But I really don't understand this logic: "Because of the fire in
        > > Apollo 1, in which three Astronauts died, NASA required a writing
        > > instrument that would not burn in a 100% oxygen atmosphere."
        >
        > This is probably a clumsy way to say the pen should not spark the oxygen and
        > start a fire.

        True! Nor should it be able to contribute to the combustion at that
        content and pressure. The velcro (and glue behind it) that was normally
        fire resistant in a normal atmosphere blazed like crazy inside the
        craft.

        --
        Derek J. Buckley Software Engineer
        derek@... RADSoft
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2003
          > > Thanks for sending this. Too bad the story isn't true!
          > >
          > > But I really don't understand this logic: "Because of the fire in
          > > Apollo 1, in which three Astronauts died, NASA required a writing
          > > instrument that would not burn in a 100% oxygen atmosphere."
          >
          > This is probably a clumsy way to say the pen should not spark the oxygen
          and
          > start a fire.

          I guess Bic is out then... :-)

          - Chip Whitmer