Re: [XP] I18N on large project

  • kevinbsmith
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2003
      --- Rafael Antonio Leombruno <extremesoronthar@y...> wrote:
      > Hi all!
      > ...The app was a medium-size web app...We had to
      > add it in small chunks...because if we do it all in
      > one pass it would have requires two months of work.

      Really? Would it actually have taken two months, or would it just have
      felt like two months because it was boring work? I don't know how you
      define medium. Let's say there are 200 jsp classes. Each one might
      take 15 minutes, assuming you're just having to pull out error and
      status messages, and not large chunks of content. That would be about
      40 hours of one person/pair's time. With a small team, this purely
      hypothetical task could be completed in a couple days.

      > After my little experience with the web app, I started
      > to apply a rule: Don't harcode anything. And string
      > literals are harcoded thing. So in the refactoring
      > step, at early stage, I usually end up with a
      > ResourceBundle for the app.

      Often (not always), I find working with code that uses extracted
      string resources to be much more cumbersome than code with final
      static strings in the class. Using resourced strings can (in some
      environments) slow us down slightly throughout the entire project, for
      a benefit (easy i18n) that may or may not ever be needed.

      But there's a more compelling argument: Is it EVER faster to extract a
      single string once at the beginning than it is to extract that same
      string once at the end? Not for me. So postponing that work is a good
      bet if there is any doubt that it will be necessary. The customer may
      choose to pay to have us do the work up front anyway, of course.

      Personally, I have no problem with hardcoded values (especially
      strings) as long as: 1) that value only appears ONCE, and 2) it is
      crystal clear from context what the meaning and intent of that string
      is. Generally, strings and numbers get pulled to named constants
      pretty quickly. Pulling them out of the code and into a resource file
      is an extra step that often isn't worth it.

      Kevin