RE: [XP] Is agile to use a framework?(warning goes off topic)

  • Nigel Thorne
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2003
      Learn everything you can about good architecture in the enviroment you are coding for, but let the architecture emerge as the code emerges.

      Also...

      Face the design decisions as soon as they rear their head. Ideally do vertical passes through a wide selection of functionality with a small team. This will force you to make these decisions early, and get most of your architecture in place.

      <warning starts to go off topic here>

      I say this as my project was badly hurt by people ignoring the need for design decisions, and instead coding around design flaws.

      If the correct objects exist people are far more lightly to put the new functionality in the correct place. It feels like tidying up. If there isn't an obvious place for something to live, then people tend to leave it where it was last used. Refactoring is the force that should fight against this.
      The problem I find is most people don't have the confidance and courage to make changes. The larger the change the less lightly they are to make it.

      In my organisation at least I believe people are not keen to create a new object as it involves publicly making a design decision. There are so many factors that are involved in any design decision at the moment ( memory usage, preformance, clarity, etc. ) that any decision can be viewed as wrong from one of these standpoints.

      A cultural problem we are having at the moment is that if someone else dissagrees with the design decision they tend to say things like "What on earth is this object doing here?" and "Oh my god, I can't believe it... <insert reason the object was a stupid idea>" out loud to noone in perticular, or stand around at watering holes to talk about crap code they found. This fosters an environment that makes people afraid to make mistakes, so don't even try.

      sorry about going way off topic. I have to go solve some of these problems.

      Cheers
      Nigel.