RE: [XP] Is Extreme Programming an effective software development methodology?

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2003
      Shane,

      1. Your survey is NOT my last chance to contirubte to XP research.

      2. It is my belief that it is impossible to construct any survey that would
      really establish whether or not XP is an effective software development
      method, no matter how many people respond. A survey could only establish
      whether or not people today believe it is effective, which has little
      relationship to whether or not it is actually effective (especially, if you
      ask a biased sample like the subscribers to this list).

      3. I am in the process of defining and executing a series of controlled and
      measured experiements in which separate teams of students apply WF and XP to
      the same projects in order to do some research that might actually help
      answer the question. Perhaps, doing something like that would be a more
      sound research method than conducting a biased survey. The more such
      experiments on different kinds of projects with different teams of
      developers with different skills and experiences, the more likely that a
      case can be established one way or another. Furthermore, doing so would
      teach all the experiemters and participants a lot more about XP, and
      software development in general.

      Steven Gordon, PhD
      ASU Software Factory