Re: Customer doesn't trust our estimates

  • banshee858
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 1, 2003

      > > Perhaps you need to multiply
      > > every estiamte by ten in order to get the idea of days out of
      your
      > > customer's head? So instead of 3 ideal days, your customer gets
      30
      > > points! I have heard that suggestion bounced around here, but
      have
      > > not used it. Might work for you.
      > >

      > Yes, I've thought about it. But having only 10, 20 and 30 point
      > stories is not different from having 1, 2 and 3 point stories.

      This was one of more more outlandish suggestions based on flailing in
      the air trying to grab something interesting to suggest. Sorry that
      I did not edit it out on the review.

      The suggestion I had hoped to communicate was to ask your customer to
      work on-site with you. Not permanently, but long enough for them to
      SEE that you when you say three days, you really mean three days.

      Carlton
    • davechaplin
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 9, 2003
        Is your customer technical? If so, then ask them to show you how they
        would do it quicker. Admit that you don't know. You know yourself
        that you are working very fast using XP, and that the quality
        investments you are making will pay off. You can gamble on that. Make
        sure your estimates accurate though, since no-one likes a deadline
        that isn't hit. Under promise /commit, and over deliver.

        Don't tell her you are coding 6 hours a day regardless. Tell her you
        are coding 8, then make sure you only code spikes and R&D stuff in
        the other 2 hours. Personally, we stop touching production code after
        about 4pm. Our brains are a bit dead. Then we work on previously
        marked TODO's/STUB's in the code that are low brain activities to fix.

        Regarding the problems with times estimates. Give a range if you are
        unsure. e.g. between 5 and 15 days. Tell her you need to do some R&D
        for 2 days to get an accurate estimate. If she takes the lower one
        that is her problem and you have a project management problem you
        need to solve. Openly refuse to commit to deadlines unless you are
        sure of hitting them. I suspect you had project overuns in the past
        because someone else other than the developers was promising
        something that couldn't be delivered. Seen that before. It was solved
        by the particular project manager being marched out the building by
        security. That solved it!

        Hope that helps.

        Dave.

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "rodriguez_jose48"