Re: Customer doesn't trust our estimates

  • rodriguez_jose48
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Wake"
      <william.wake@a...> wrote:

      > I'd look to distinguish "our estimates aren't accurate enough"
      > from "The customer doesn't want this to cost so much."
      >
      > Are your estimates improving (as estimates) - can you compare
      actual
      > vs. estimate, now vs. back when there were overruns? So can you say
      > that today's estimates are closer to the true cost? (and perhaps
      more
      > fully reflect integration/debugging/QA etc.)

      Yes. Today estimates are closer to the true cost. Estimating the XP
      way is a major improvement.

      > Two things for working too slowly:
      > 1. *Are* you going too slow? Look hard at yourselves and your
      > environment, and see if there are meetings to drop, barriers to
      move,
      > knowledge to acquire, etc.

      We are working as much as we can. We are tired after 5 or 6 hours, so
      we cannot continue.

      > > This has a couple of bad consequences over the process.
      > >
      > > For example we cannot tell her we are programming only 5-6
      > > hours/day.
      > It's easy to not understand how hard it is to be in pairs and an
      open
      > workspace all day, without being there. (Do you have other things
      > do in the remaining time that still add value?)

      Sometimes yes.

      > > Besides, during the planning game, we, the programmers, have to
      be
      > > careful, not to tell anything about the mapping real time/ideal
      > time
      > > (we are estimating in ideal days and weeks).
      >
      > Again, this comes out as a fear response. We don't want to hide
      > things.
      >
      > If you've got a little history, you can say "this story's about as
      > big as that one we did, with that estimate". I'm not so sure the
      > ideal days/weeks thing is always so helpful; you might try just
      > points without explicitly relating them to time.

      Yes. This might be a solution. However some of us (programmers) are
      more comfortable thinking in ideal time than comparing with another
      story.

      Jose.
    • davechaplin
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 9, 2003
        Is your customer technical? If so, then ask them to show you how they
        would do it quicker. Admit that you don't know. You know yourself
        that you are working very fast using XP, and that the quality
        investments you are making will pay off. You can gamble on that. Make
        sure your estimates accurate though, since no-one likes a deadline
        that isn't hit. Under promise /commit, and over deliver.

        Don't tell her you are coding 6 hours a day regardless. Tell her you
        are coding 8, then make sure you only code spikes and R&D stuff in
        the other 2 hours. Personally, we stop touching production code after
        about 4pm. Our brains are a bit dead. Then we work on previously
        marked TODO's/STUB's in the code that are low brain activities to fix.

        Regarding the problems with times estimates. Give a range if you are
        unsure. e.g. between 5 and 15 days. Tell her you need to do some R&D
        for 2 days to get an accurate estimate. If she takes the lower one
        that is her problem and you have a project management problem you
        need to solve. Openly refuse to commit to deadlines unless you are
        sure of hitting them. I suspect you had project overuns in the past
        because someone else other than the developers was promising
        something that couldn't be delivered. Seen that before. It was solved
        by the particular project manager being marched out the building by
        security. That solved it!

        Hope that helps.

        Dave.

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "rodriguez_jose48"