Re: [XP] Re: Customer doesn't trust our estimates

    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 1, 2003
      On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 3:10:15 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

      > "We have given you an estimate of the time we believe it will take to
      > complete the work. We're working as hard as we can. If you think there are
      > programmers who can do the same work in less time than we have estimated,
      > then by all means hire those programmers."

      > Liberally borrowed/paraphrased from Ron, but I like it. I intend to use it
      > often in my place of work.

      I can think of no higher praise than to have my thoughts used. A word of
      warning: the customer may feel trapped into using your team. Thoughts like
      the one above need to be expressed in a friendly open way, not one that
      will drive a wedge between us. Use with caution.

      > You have to own the estimates, and your customer has to understand that the
      > estimates are exactly what the name implies - your best Estimate of the
      > time it will take to do the work. She needs to understand that the work
      > takes the time it takes. If she wants it to take less time, there needs to
      > be less work.

      This is the lesson, of course: the customer needs to focus requests on the
      essence of her ideas for the product, and to eliminate less-valuable
      things. As you suggest, more time with her will help her do that. And at
      every opportunity, if she says that some estimate is too large, I would try
      to be ready with something like this:

      "Well, three days is for the feature as specified, with the rotating
      rings and flashing lights. If the rings can be standing still and only
      half the lights flash, we could do that in two days. Then we can make the
      rings rotate and the other lights flash later, if there's more time."

      Think! -- Aretha Franklin
    • davechaplin
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 9, 2003
        Is your customer technical? If so, then ask them to show you how they
        would do it quicker. Admit that you don't know. You know yourself
        that you are working very fast using XP, and that the quality
        investments you are making will pay off. You can gamble on that. Make
        sure your estimates accurate though, since no-one likes a deadline
        that isn't hit. Under promise /commit, and over deliver.

        Don't tell her you are coding 6 hours a day regardless. Tell her you
        are coding 8, then make sure you only code spikes and R&D stuff in
        the other 2 hours. Personally, we stop touching production code after
        about 4pm. Our brains are a bit dead. Then we work on previously
        marked TODO's/STUB's in the code that are low brain activities to fix.

        Regarding the problems with times estimates. Give a range if you are
        unsure. e.g. between 5 and 15 days. Tell her you need to do some R&D
        for 2 days to get an accurate estimate. If she takes the lower one
        that is her problem and you have a project management problem you
        need to solve. Openly refuse to commit to deadlines unless you are
        sure of hitting them. I suspect you had project overuns in the past
        because someone else other than the developers was promising
        something that couldn't be delivered. Seen that before. It was solved
        by the particular project manager being marched out the building by
        security. That solved it!

        Hope that helps.

        Dave.

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "rodriguez_jose48"