Software Engineering: Recording code reviews when pair programmi ng - how?

  • Aston, Nigel
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2003
      We are moving across from non-agile to partially agile. Previously we had
      formal code review sessions and recorded the results on hard copy print outs
      and review forms. With pair programming we would still like to maintain a
      record that certain areas of code have been reviewed by the nature of pair
      programming. The purpose would be to know where we are falling down on code
      quality as well as a record for some customers who require to know that the
      code has been developed and reviewed accordingly.

      * How would you propose keeping a record of such information? The
      same question could be asked about recording reviews of the auto tests.

      Thanks

      Nigel Aston, Taylor Hobson Ltd., Leicester, UK

      DISCLAIMER: This message may contain privileged and confidential
      information. If you think for any reason this message has been addressed in
      error you must not copy or disseminate it and we would ask you to notify us
      immediately by return email to postmaster@.... Internet emails
      are not necessarily secure. Taylor Hobson Holdings plc is the holding
      company for the Taylor Hobson group of companies and is registered in
      England No. 3230332, with its address at 2 New Star Road, Leicester, LE4
      9JQ, England.
    • Steve Ropa
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2003
        Every hour of every day that is spent pair programming is reviewed, so in
        essence, the timesheet that such customers usually require is your formal
        record. Otherwise, I would suggest adding a story for a formal code review,
        estimate it, and let the customer decide when he really feels like spending
        bits of velocity on what is now an extraneous exercise. As far as recording
        reviews of the tests, I wouldn't bother reviewing tests, personally.

        Steve

[...]

        ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
          On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 12:20:41 AM, Aston, Nigel wrote:

          > We are moving across from non-agile to partially agile. Previously we had
          > formal code review sessions and recorded the results on hard copy print outs
          > and review forms. With pair programming we would still like to maintain a
          > record that certain areas of code have been reviewed by the nature of pair
          > programming. The purpose would be to know where we are falling down on code
          > quality as well as a record for some customers who require to know that the
          > code has been developed and reviewed accordingly.

          > * How would you propose keeping a record of such information? The
          > same question could be asked about recording reviews of the auto tests.

          Might something as simple as encoding each code submission to the
          repository with the initials of the programmer or pair working on it
          suffice?

          Do only what is necessary. Keep only what you need.
        • Brian Christopher Robinson
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
            On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Aston, Nigel wrote:

            > * How would you propose keeping a record of such information? The
            > same question could be asked about recording reviews of the auto tests.

            We have two of the developers who worked on a given task sign and date
            the card upon completion. I'm not sure if this level of tracking would
            suit your needs but it fulfills our CMM requirement to document that we
            do code reviews.