Customer doesn't trust our estimates

  • rodriguez_jose48
    Message 1 of 50 , Mar 31, 2003
      Now, after we've managed to have some separation of responsibilities
      between programmers and Customer, our main problem is that the
      customer does not trust our estimates.

      She thinks we are giving her too big estimates, and that we are
      working too slowly. She is right in thinking like this because in the
      past this project didn't went so well, and schedule overruns were
      a 'normal' thing.

      What can we do to solve this problem?

      This has a couple of bad consequences over the process.

      For example we cannot tell her we are programming only 5-6 hours/day.
      I've seen on this list that others have a similar period of effective
      coding each day, so I believe it is a normal thing (anyway we are
      tired after 5-6 hours of effective coding).

      Another problem is that we fear to have the Customer with us during
      the planning. We fear that we will not be able to give an accurate
      estimate in a short time (planning a story shouldn't take long, I
      guess) and if we give a shorter estimate, she will not agree to
      change it in the future.

      Besides, during the planning game, we, the programmers, have to be
      careful, not to tell anything about the mapping real time/ideal time
      (we are estimating in ideal days and weeks).

      Any ideas?

      Jose.
    • davechaplin
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 9 9:49 AM
        Is your customer technical? If so, then ask them to show you how they
        would do it quicker. Admit that you don't know. You know yourself
        that you are working very fast using XP, and that the quality
        investments you are making will pay off. You can gamble on that. Make
        sure your estimates accurate though, since no-one likes a deadline
        that isn't hit. Under promise /commit, and over deliver.

        Don't tell her you are coding 6 hours a day regardless. Tell her you
        are coding 8, then make sure you only code spikes and R&D stuff in
        the other 2 hours. Personally, we stop touching production code after
        about 4pm. Our brains are a bit dead. Then we work on previously
        marked TODO's/STUB's in the code that are low brain activities to fix.

        Regarding the problems with times estimates. Give a range if you are
        unsure. e.g. between 5 and 15 days. Tell her you need to do some R&D
        for 2 days to get an accurate estimate. If she takes the lower one
        that is her problem and you have a project management problem you
        need to solve. Openly refuse to commit to deadlines unless you are
        sure of hitting them. I suspect you had project overuns in the past
        because someone else other than the developers was promising
        something that couldn't be delivered. Seen that before. It was solved
        by the particular project manager being marched out the building by
        security. That solved it!

        Hope that helps.

        Dave.

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "rodriguez_jose48"