Knowledge Management Tools?

  • Armin Roehrl
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
      Hi,

      I am wondering whether anybody -- especially of the bigger
      shops having to cope with distributed development uses any
      sorts of knowledge management tools, apart from a wiki and maybe
      a web-blog. What is the experience?

      I started wondering about this when talking with a developer who
      is part of a Fortune 500 company that keeps solving the same problems
      again and again in different teams (or even the same team).

      Thanks a lot,
      -Armin.

      I'm Winston Wolf, I solve problems.

      First European Ruby conference, 21-22/6, Karlsruhe
      http://www.approximity.com/ruby/euruko
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
        Armin Roehrl wrote:

        > I am wondering whether anybody -- especially of the bigger
        > shops having to cope with distributed development uses any
        > sorts of knowledge management tools, apart from a wiki and maybe
        > a web-blog. What is the experience?

        Terribly sorry, but I got a shiny new hammer called a "wiki" right now,
        and that problem looks darned like a nail.

        In terms of adding simplicity first before complexity, start with a
        wiki. As you discover what extra you need, add it to the Wiki.

        > I started wondering about this when talking with a developer who
        > is part of a Fortune 500 company that keeps solving the same problems
        > again and again in different teams (or even the same team).

        CMMI says not to do that (but they don't say "Wiki" - shame on them!).

        Try http://fitnesse.org . It's a wiki to author and run functional
        tests. The knowledge you manage should somehow lead to testage, right?

        --
        Maxwell
      • Bentley, Jason
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
          We use a custom made tool for KM but it was not created for that reason. We
          work with a lot of specialized applications and that was the original
          purpose. However, the XP category of the KMS has become massive. I
          recommend it to everyone. If a mistake costs you time and money, it is
          worth writing down and never repeating.

          Jason

          I am wondering whether anybody -- especially of the bigger
          shops having to cope with distributed development uses any
          sorts of knowledge management tools, apart from a wiki and maybe
          a web-blog. What is the experience?

          I started wondering about this when talking with a developer who
          is part of a Fortune 500 company that keeps solving the same problems
          again and again in different teams (or even the same team).

          Thanks a lot,
          -Armin.

          I'm Winston Wolf, I solve problems.

          First European Ruby conference, 21-22/6, Karlsruhe
          http://www.approximity.com/ruby/euruko

          ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com