Re: [XP] Re: Initial Planning and Metaphor

    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 1, 2003
      On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 2:41:18 PM, Kiel Hodges <kielhodges@...> wrote:

      >> Yes, that's one way, and perhaps a good way. I often prefer,
      > though, to
      >> build a trivial instance of the /real/ class. Mocks, it seems
      > to me, often
      >> wind up not matching the real thing, or feeling redundant. But
      > maybe I'm
      >> just not very good at them, which could be true since I don't
      > do many.

      > Could you explain what you mean by "trivial instance of the
      > /real/ class" and describe what one might look like for the
      > example of the DB facade?

      Well, I'll try, but I'm not sure I can say much yet. I guess basically it
      goes like this. When I'm working TDD, I build trivial classes all the time,
      and then grow them up to be the real thing over time. That's what TDD does,
      right?

      So if I happen to need a new class at some point, because my TDD-driven
      implementation is calling for it. I just build a trivial class like always.
      Sometimes I'll push down the first TDD and do a new generation, building
      the classes "in parallel" for a while. Other times I just write the trivial
      "subordinate" class and let it happen.

      As for the DB facade itself, I'm even less sure than that. That's because I
      don't think in terms of DB. (Odd thing for a person who has implemented
      half a dozen real DB systems in his life, but there you are.) I think in
      terms of collections of objects. If at some future time they have to live
      in a DB, I'll discover that. Or I'll just persist them.

      However, I've not pushed anything as big as what you're probably working on
      that far. So I can't give a really good example. Maybe I should make one up
      and write it up -- in my copious free time. ;->

      It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a simple idea.
      -- Carver Mead
    • Nick Robinson
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 2, 2003

        I think you hit the nail on the head though. The "Because we've always done
        it that way" is a subconcious manifestation that affects the thinking when
        in a common situation were experience has been gained. In XP it is obvious
        such questions need to be answered, again and again to reinforce the point.
        In RUP certain documents are produced through the workflow, as they add
        value to the process and the team working that process (at least thats the
        idea though I have seen this fail).

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/