Re: [XP] Re: Initial Planning and Metaphor

    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 1 11:14 AM
      On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 10:17:02 AM, Kiel Hodges <kielhodges@...> wrote:

      > Say we're doing a task that requires that a class retrieve an
      > instance of another class from the DB facade. There is another
      > task to implement that retrieval. We can proceed with our task
      > without waiting on the other because we aren't going to use the
      > real facade anyway. It's easy to have the mock give us the right
      > answer for the particular test.

      > In the case where the facade itself doesn't yet exist, have a
      > /quick/ discussion to come up with the interface. Don't get too
      > caught up in designing the perfect interface, just come up with
      > something that's close enough. If the interface changes a little
      > when the real facade is implemented, just make the necessary
      > adjustments to the mock (or vice versa!) In my experience, this
      > is trivial for a team that emphasizes communication.

      Yes, that's one way, and perhaps a good way. I often prefer, though, to
      build a trivial instance of the /real/ class. Mocks, it seems to me, often
      wind up not matching the real thing, or feeling redundant. But maybe I'm
      just not very good at them, which could be true since I don't do many.

      It is a bad plan that admits of no modifications. -- Publius Syrus (ca. 42 BCE)
    • Nick Robinson
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 2 1:14 AM

        I think you hit the nail on the head though. The "Because we've always done
        it that way" is a subconcious manifestation that affects the thinking when
        in a common situation were experience has been gained. In XP it is obvious
        such questions need to be answered, again and again to reinforce the point.
        In RUP certain documents are produced through the workflow, as they add
        value to the process and the team working that process (at least thats the
        idea though I have seen this fail).

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/