Iteration Planning/Exploration Phase

  • Nicholas Robinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
      Hi,

      Am I correct in thinking that in the exploration phase of iteration planning, not only does the
      team write task cards for stories, but it also writes tasks to things that must be done to support
      the iteration? In KB's Extreme Programming Explained Kent mentions these types of tasks. I am
      thinking that when the developers sit down to decompose the stories into tasks, they will consider
      what is required to support the development effort. If a technical issue arises, then it must be
      factored into the planning, and thus a task card is created for it.

      Is that the general gist?

      Thanks,

      Nick.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
        On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 9:13:02 AM, Nicholas Robinson wrote:

        > Am I correct in thinking that in the exploration phase of iteration planning, not only does the
        > team write task cards for stories, but it also writes tasks to things that must be done to support
        > the iteration? In KB's Extreme Programming Explained Kent mentions these types of tasks. I am
        > thinking that when the developers sit down to decompose the stories into tasks, they will consider
        > what is required to support the development effort. If a technical issue arises, then it must be
        > factored into the planning, and thus a task card is created for it.

        > Is that the general gist?

        Well, if you create task cards, yes. I don't usually recommend them any
        more: I recommend that the team brainstorm tasks onto the whiteboard during
        iteration planning and leave them there.

        Speculation or experimentation - which is more likely to give the correct answer?