swarm intelligence =~ xp?

  • Chris Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2003
      /. has this article on Swarm Intelligence.
      http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/02/25/1758240.shtml?tid=156

      With self-organization, the behavior of the group is often
      unpredictable, emerging from the collective interactions of all of the
      individuals. The simple rules by which individuals interact can
      generate complex group behavior. Indeed, the emergence of such
      collective behavior out of simple rules is one the great lessons of
      swarm intelligence.

      This is obviously a very different mindset from the prevailing
      approach to software development and to managing vast amounts of
      information: no central control, errors are good, flexibility,
      robustness (or self-repair). The big issue is this: if I am letting a
      decentralized, self-organizing system take over, say, my computer
      network, how should I program the individual virtual ants so that the
      network behaves appropriately at the system-wide level?

      Interesting concepts related to agile approaches.

      Chris