Pair Honesty [Was: introducing XP during a crisis]

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2003
      David Vydra sez:

      > I am trying to get a distiction between blind courage and getting along
      with
      > people. How do you balance your need to be Honest with the need to
      maintain
      > good morale? For example if you are pairing with someone and you just can
      > not agree, is there a prior agreement about how conflicts are to be
      > resolved. I usually talk with people about the "senior geek makes the
      final
      > decision on this project" rule before we start working so it is not a
      > surprise to them.

      If all changes were very big, this would be a concern.

      Defeating this exact concern is the rationale behind small changes.

      But small changes don't >always< result in fewer lines of code. They may
      result in an intermediate solution approaching a goal.

      So differences of opinion over what goal, or what design pattern, to head
      towards matter.

      For me, I carefully monitor my pair for signs they want to drive. Discussing
      things I'm not doing, too much, is a big sign. They get the keyboard.

      So to take turns making things better, wait until they think they are done.
      Then, incrementally, start moving the design towards your own vision. If it
      does get better, it's now better than either of you alone could have made
      it. This is good, but we got there enforcing strict egolessness.

      But I don't care if my pair's the one with the tiny fragile ego. It's all
      good.

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.greencheese.org/PerfideousDelinquency