Development steering

  • Ralph Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24 10:47 PM
      An earlier message expressed a worry that if development pointed
      out potential problems, they might end up steering the project.

      I had a guy build a shed in my back yard. I had bought a
      "shed kit" and decided to spend a few hundred dollars to
      have someone else put it together, and was glad I did.
      This was about shed 1000 for him. He told me that in the
      winter, heavy snow would make the sides bow out, but he
      could put in a cross-brace to keep it from happening.
      He also said that door had a tendency to swing loose, and
      that he could put a crude latch on it to keep that from
      happening. I was glad to pay a little extra for those
      things, but would have been annoyed if he had just gone
      ahead and done them.

      I like car mechanics who look around and notice things and
      ask me if I want them to work on them. I hate car mechanics
      who fix lots of things and then bill me without any warning.

      The customer must steer, but a good developer will not
      hesitate to point out potential problems and suggest better
      ways of doing things. Communication is vital!

      -Ralph Johnson