Re: [XP] Cheating Iteration Planning

  • Doug Swartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2003
      Monday, February 03, 2003, 2:35:35 PM, Brian Christopher Robinson wrote:

      > We finised an iteration last Friday and had our iteration planning
      > neeting today and found that we had 6 or 7 cards that were of the < 1
      > type. Adding all the cards up gave us a velocity of 24 while out last
      > iteration's velocity was 16. I felt we did a similar amount of work
      > these last two iterations so I took a look at the < 1 cards and
      > basically reestimated them as 0's. Once I had taken out the small cards
      > by giving them 0's, the remaining cards added up to 16 giving up a
      > consistent velocity.

      > My question for the group is: Is this cheating?

      Of course its not cheating; especially if it's repeatable.

      If it feels like cheating to you, you could try a variation on what we
      do with very small cards. During the iteration meeting, if you have
      several of these "very small" cards, simply put several of them
      together with a paper clip. If the estimate for four cards together is
      still a one, call the four together a one. This turns what feels
      like cheating when you do it on the back-end to simply more accurate
      planning.

      It'll most likely turn out the same way in the end.

      --

      Doug Swartz
      daswartz@...