Re: [XP] Mark Bullock letter in Jan/feb IEEE SW

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 11:19, Steve Berczuk wrote:
      > Did anyone see the letter from Mark Bullock in the Jan/Feb IEEE SW...?
      > If so, did anyone reply to him? I copied the most interesting segment
      > below. It sounds so wrong :)
      >

      > " ...Further, XP pair programming is for programmers who can’t or won’t
      > express their designs so others can review them. With 20 years’
      > experience in development, I believe that coding effort is simply
      > “compiling” or translating a design into some code that can in turn be
      > compiled into machine language. There shouldn’t be much creativity in
      > the coding process; that’s all done during design...."
      >
      > Mark Bullock/Quality assurance manager

      Neat! Perhaps we should send him a letter with some outrageous developer
      misconceptions about the role and/or value of QA efforts. :-)

      William

      --
      brains for sale: http://scissor.com/
    • Tom Copeland
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
        > > " ...Further, XP pair programming is for programmers who
        > can't or won't
        > > express their designs so others can review them. With 20 years'
        > > experience in development, I believe that coding effort is simply
        > > "compiling" or translating a design into some code that can
        > in turn be
        > > compiled into machine language. There shouldn't be much
        > creativity in
        > > the coding process; that's all done during design...."
        > >
        > > Mark Bullock/Quality assurance manager

        He's absolutely right! Every day I write down my design in an
        expressive syntax called "Java". Then I "compile" or "translate" this
        design into some bytecode using a tool called "javac". Then I use a JVM
        to further compile the code into machine language.

        It's exactly as he says... my invocations of javac requre very little
        creativity...

        Tom