Mark Bullock letter in Jan/feb IEEE SW

  • Steve Berczuk
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      Did anyone see the letter from Mark Bullock in the Jan/Feb IEEE SW...?
      If so, did anyone reply to him? I copied the most interesting segment
      below. It sounds so wrong :)

      " ...Further, XP pair programming is for programmers who can’t or won’t
      express their designs so others can review them. With 20 years’
      experience in development, I believe that coding effort is simply
      “compiling” or translating a design into some code that can in turn be
      compiled into machine language. There shouldn’t be much creativity in
      the coding process; that’s all done during design...."

      Mark Bullock/Quality assurance manager/The Cobalt
      Group/mbullock@...
      you can get the whole letter from
      http://dlib.computer.org/so/books/so2003/pdf/s1008.pdf
      if you have access to the ieee cs digital library.

      cheers!
      Steve
      --
      Steve Berczuk | steve@... | http://www.berczuk.com
      SCM Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
        On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 11:19, Steve Berczuk wrote:
        > Did anyone see the letter from Mark Bullock in the Jan/Feb IEEE SW...?
        > If so, did anyone reply to him? I copied the most interesting segment
        > below. It sounds so wrong :)
        >

        > " ...Further, XP pair programming is for programmers who can’t or won’t
        > express their designs so others can review them. With 20 years’
        > experience in development, I believe that coding effort is simply
        > “compiling” or translating a design into some code that can in turn be
        > compiled into machine language. There shouldn’t be much creativity in
        > the coding process; that’s all done during design...."
        >
        > Mark Bullock/Quality assurance manager

        Neat! Perhaps we should send him a letter with some outrageous developer
        misconceptions about the role and/or value of QA efforts. :-)

        William

        --
        brains for sale: http://scissor.com/
      • Tom Copeland
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
          > > " ...Further, XP pair programming is for programmers who
          > can't or won't
          > > express their designs so others can review them. With 20 years'
          > > experience in development, I believe that coding effort is simply
          > > "compiling" or translating a design into some code that can
          > in turn be
          > > compiled into machine language. There shouldn't be much
          > creativity in
          > > the coding process; that's all done during design...."
          > >
          > > Mark Bullock/Quality assurance manager

          He's absolutely right! Every day I write down my design in an
          expressive syntax called "Java". Then I "compile" or "translate" this
          design into some bytecode using a tool called "javac". Then I use a JVM
          to further compile the code into machine language.

          It's exactly as he says... my invocations of javac requre very little
          creativity...

          Tom