Master thesis on XP

  • Maja Hristozova
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
      What attracted me to do master's thesis on XP was..
      maybe I should give the following background
      history...
      During the fires in Canberra (more than 500 houses
      burnt) we wanted to help and called a couple of huge
      organisations such as the Salvation Army, the Red
      Cross, Smith's Family, etc. etc. They all said: we
      can't get you as volunteers for 2 reasons:
      1. We have very heavy administration and document
      procedures to accept volunteers - insurance, safety
      and legal issues, etc.
      2. There is not much we can do without orders that
      follow the hierarchy and 'the order'.

      At the same time we KNEW people need help. (Who
      wouldn't if their house is burnt). So I thought
      apparently these big organisations with lots of
      documents, procedures, etc. restrict people to
      get/give help. When it comes to individuals the big
      things are useless... We called the local ABC radio
      and they pointed us where to go. There was a lot of
      work to be done, but we did it not because of the big
      'methodologies', but DESPITE them...

      I find this a good analogy from my own experience,
      that has triggered me to look for small things that do
      care about individuals, have less documentation, less
      hierarchy and heavy procedures and actually do the
      job. Sounds like XP :)

      Maia

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
        On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 9:44:23 PM, Maja Hristozova wrote:

        > What attracted me to do master's thesis on XP was..
        > maybe I should give the following background
        > history...

        Good deep reasons for being interested. What is it about XP itself that
        appeals to you?

        You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
          Maja Hristozova sez:

          > I find this a good analogy from my own experience,
          > that has triggered me to look for small things that do
          > care about individuals, have less documentation, less
          > hierarchy and heavy procedures and actually do the
          > job. Sounds like XP :)

          I used this site...

          http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=extremeprogramming

          to find the post below my sig about "non-profits".

          There was another excellent thread once where a lady trying to coordinate some
          kind of social work had the usual thicket of un-pruned VB forms. I can't
          remember her name but I wish she'd report back.

          --
          Phlip
          http://www.greencheese.org/MayorZogg

          Subject: [XP] Re: XP and part-time volunteers
          From: "kevinbsmith" <kevinxp () qualitycode ! com>
          Date: 2002-03-22 21:37:20
          [Download message RAW]

          --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Rolf Nelson" wrote:
          > What if nonprofits used Pair Programming to team one of
          > their full-time engineers with a series of short-term,
          > part-time volunteer programmers?

          As a full-time programmer at a non-profit, this is certainly
          interesting to me. We have been trying to figure out how to
          integrate volunteer programming help into our mostly-XP
          project, but so far haven't come up with something that feels
          good.

          The first problem is that many volunteer programmers are not
          interested in doing XP. Of those who are, many are not local.
          Ok, so let's imagine we have a small pool of local XP
          developers. Now what?

          Internally, we have tried having some staff allocated to the
          project on a part-time basis. Those that have worked on the
          project less than one day per week have not really benefitted
          the project. It takes them so long to get back up to speed
          each week that they can't really contribute much for that
          session.

          [Side notes: This project is in a language and environment that
          are not familiar to most of our staff. Also, there is really one
          core developer (me), and I tend to be pretty good at solo XP
          development. So a pair has to provide some pretty solid benefits
          to actually help the project.]

          Based on our internal experiences, I would be concerned that
          volunteers who are not willing to deeply immerse themselves
          in the project, at least for a few weeks at a time, might slow
          the project down more than speeding it up. Perhaps the benefits
          are highly project-dependent?

          I'm certainly interested in hearing more thoughts on this. Has
          anyone tried part-time developers in a profit or non-profit
          setting? Are there hoards of XP developers itching to volunteer?

          Kevin

          P.S. I'm curious where you (Rolf) are located geographically.
        • pntva <pntva@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2003
            I will be glad to help you with respect to limitions of XP. There
            are too many. You may wish to go through some of my previous posts
            on this forum regarding limitations of XP.

            By the way, I am a little confused. Isn't a thesis supposed to
            be "original work." instead of a "survey" of existing work? Or maybe
            the standards for a thesis have dumbed down since I graduated. I
            guess if you are not a computer science student, it maybe alright to
            have a thesis on XP. Otherwise (if you are a computer science
            student), I would sincerely hope that no one gives you a job
            doing "computer science work" since by doing a thesis on XP you are
            not really contributing anything to the field of computer science.

            On the other hand, if you are a MIS (masters in information systems)
            type of student then I think your thesis has a good topic.

            In anycase there are enough employers out there who like to hire
            people who are good at "bullshitting." So if you do a good job of
            bullshitting in your thesis (as is implied by the area of your
            thesis: XP), then I am quite sure you will get hired somewhere to
            bullshit 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, along with
            standard doze of vacation and sick days.

            I sincerely hope this is helpful to you in some way. On my side I
            hope that you would rethink the area of your thesis.

            Good luck with thesis and life in general

            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Razeeyah"
            <razeeyah@i...> wrote:

            > I am doing my degree thesis on XP .. and i'm
            > in fact designing a s/w to track and manage
            > an XP project .. I am also doing huge research
            > work on XP itself and its limitations and extensions ..
            >
            > kamil
            >
            > Ali,
            >
            > > I am planning to have master's degree on XP. Unfortunately, I
            > > dont have any precise subject on my mind. Could anyone advise me
            > > thesis title.
            >
            > I'm curious why you have chosen XP for your master's thesis. What
            is
            > it about XP that interests you?
            >
            > --Dave

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Andrew Forward
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2003
              Hmmm, interesting comments.

              I do not recall the original posting describing the individuals intent with
              a masters, but I would like to highlight a few things in your posting below.

              `````````````````````

              "Isn't a thesis supposed to be "original work." instead of a "survey" of
              existing work?"

              Yes a thesis is original work - but that doesn't mean it has to be entirely
              invented - nor will you pass if it is. First off, how will you know if
              something is original unless you have a firm grasp on the existing? This is
              important because the originality comes from understanding what has been
              done and then either building on top (somewhat that is original), building
              alternatives (again, usually original), etc.

              For instance, my masters thesis combined areas of computer science almost
              completely un-related to one another, and to my topic - yet the final
              product was quite unique. Also note that I began my work with a survey of
              existing practices :-)

              `````````````````````

              "I would sincerely hope that no one gives you a job doing "computer science
              work" since by doing a thesis on XP you are not really contributing anything
              to the field of computer science."

              Wow. Personally, I cannot believe how much the formalization of XP has
              improved my understanding of efficient software processes - but also opened
              my eyes to the simple fact that untested software is not working software.
              I am especially glad for the notion of TDD ( as well as its name change ).

              `````````````````````

              "So if you do a good job of bullshitting in your thesis (as is implied by
              the area of your thesis: XP), then I am quite sure you will get hired
              somewhere to bullshit 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, along
              with standard doze of vacation and sick days."

              Again, wow. I am not sure if it is your intent, but the reply seems overly
              aggressive.

              andrew f

            • banshee858 <cnett858@san.rr.com>
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 17, 2003

                > By the way, I am a little confused. Isn't a thesis supposed to
                > be "original work." instead of a "survey" of existing work? Or
                maybe
                > the standards for a thesis have dumbed down since I graduated. I
                > guess if you are not a computer science student, it maybe alright
                > have a thesis on XP. Otherwise (if you are a computer science
                > student), I would sincerely hope that no one gives you a job
                > doing "computer science work" since by doing a thesis on XP you are
                > not really contributing anything to the field of computer science.

                A master's thesis is not required to be completely original. That is
                what a Ph.D. is for. It is perfectly acceptable for a master's
                student to continue a line of existing research or base their
                research on a technique proposed by others. The time, knowledge and
                experienced required to create, propose and defend an original
                contribution to science is an unfair requirement for a program that
                is expected to be completed in 2 - 3 years.

                Master's students are very good for validating existing technologies
                or techniques in different domains or reworking a previous
                experiement using a new technology or technique unavailable at the
                time of the original experiment. Granted, at institutions like MIT,
                Berkeley, CalTech, et al, atmaster's thesis there is like a Ph.D. at
                most other universities, but hey, that is why they are MIT, CalTech
                and Berkeley.