Re: [XP] Looking back - What we really use Source Control for...

  • jeffgrigg63132 <jgrigg@mo.net>
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 2, 2003

      --- John Carter <john.carter@t...> wrote:
      > Ah, mini-epiphany. A very NZ type epiphany. We don't use
      > CVS to look back at this, or recover that, or see the other.
      > We use CVS to make us brave.

      I'll vote for that.

      On several projects I've encountered the objection "We can't delete
      that [dead] code! We might need it later!" So I say, "It's under
      source control. If we need it later, we can just fetch the older
      version and recover it." Then I delete the code. I've yet to see
      even one case where we went back to get the old code. Or wanted to.
    • John Brewer <jbrewer@jera.com>
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 5, 2003
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Caroline Foster
        <carolinefoster@y...> wrote:
        > Did I miss something?!~
        >
        > I regard it as a basic programmer's right that I should be able to,
        at any
        > time, check out all the source code and build it.

        I don't think anyone was saying you shouldn't. Just that when you go
        into production, you need to be a little more careful. How much more
        careful depends on your application.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design

        Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html