Re: [XP] Looking back - What we really use Source Control for...

    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 2, 2003
      On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 6:04:01 PM, John Carter wrote:

      >> Under what circumstances do people find themselves using their source
      >> code's history, looking back at previous versions or change logs ?

      > Ah, mini-epiphany. A very NZ type epiphany.

      > We don't use CVS to look back at this, or recover that, or see the other.

      > We use CVS to make us brave.

      Just so. The CM that I use in writing the ACS book keeps every single saved
      version of the code. I don't think I've ever used it to back up to a
      previous state (though I have used control Z to do so). I do use the
      history to find old code when I want to display it in a chapter and didn't
      realize in the first draft that I needed it. But rarely, possibly never, to
      recover.

      But if I didn't have a code manager, I'd have to write one. Oh. Already
      did. Right.

      I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's;
      I will not reason and compare; my business is to create. --William Blake
    • John Brewer <jbrewer@jera.com>
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 5, 2003
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Caroline Foster
        <carolinefoster@y...> wrote:
        > Did I miss something?!~
        >
        > I regard it as a basic programmer's right that I should be able to,
        at any
        > time, check out all the source code and build it.

        I don't think anyone was saying you shouldn't. Just that when you go
        into production, you need to be a little more careful. How much more
        careful depends on your application.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design

        Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html