Re: [XP] Looking back - What we really use Source Control for...

  • John Carter
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 2, 2003
      On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Laurent Bossavit wrote:

      > Under what circumstances do people find themselves using their source
      > code's history, looking back at previous versions or change logs ?

      Ah, mini-epiphany. A very NZ type epiphany.

      We don't use CVS to look back at this, or recover that, or see the other.

      We use CVS to make us brave.

      I _can_ change this, and I will be able to put it all back together again
      if it all goes wrong.

      If you dismantle intricate clockwork, there is no such guarantee.

      If you dismantle Source Controlled software, there is that guarantee.

      Let's BUNGEEE-E-E-E-EE!

      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
      New Zealand

      John's law :-

      All advances in computing have arisen through the creation of an
      additional level of indirection, the trick is to work out which
      indirection is actually useful.
    • John Brewer <jbrewer@jera.com>
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 5, 2003
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Caroline Foster
        <carolinefoster@y...> wrote:
        > Did I miss something?!~
        >
        > I regard it as a basic programmer's right that I should be able to,
        at any
        > time, check out all the source code and build it.

        I don't think anyone was saying you shouldn't. Just that when you go
        into production, you need to be a little more careful. How much more
        careful depends on your application.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design

        Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html