Space Shuttle Tests

  • David Vydra <david@vydra.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2003
      I am very saddened by the loss of the shuttle, but the excerpt below
      from the NY Times has saddened me even more:

      "Investigators also learned that NASA had drastically cut spending on
      safety testing, design and development, even skipping thermal and
      vibration tests on the shuttle and its engines. Instead of testing
      component parts, contractors only tested assembled systems,
      investigators said. And they said NASA had misled Congress on costs
      and schedules, withheld documents, violated federal codes and
      squandered billions."

      Apparently, they skipped 'unit tests'.

      -d