Re: Master thesis on XP -- interests and options

  • jeffgrigg63132 <jgrigg@mo.net>
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003

      --- "Dave Hoover <dave@r...>" <dave@r...> wrote:
      > I'm curious why you have chosen XP for your master's thesis.
      > What is it about XP that interests you?

      I think this is a good question, as it would be good to devote time
      and effort to something that interests you.

      What do you think is most difficult or troubling about software
      development?

      - If you think that finding and interpreting requirements is most
      difficult, you might want to focus on how short release cycles and
      the priority-driven Planning Game contribute to early feedback and
      testing of our understanding of requirements.

      - If you think that software reliability is or will be a big issue,
      you might focus on user and developer automated regression testing.
      Does Test Driven Development result in high coverage metrics?
      What's the difference in coverage and effectiveness of testing
      between ad-hoc and XP-style regression testing -- particularly when
      changes are made after initial development?

      - Does the question of effective use of tools and techniques
      concern you? If so, you might want to look at how Pair Programming
      distributes knowledge of "best practices" through a team.

      There are many things you could study and write about. You're
      likely to be most successful if you focus on those that interest you
      the most.
    • Maja Hristozova
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
        What attracted me to do master's thesis on XP was..
        maybe I should give the following background
        history...
        During the fires in Canberra (more than 500 houses
        burnt) we wanted to help and called a couple of huge
        organisations such as the Salvation Army, the Red
        Cross, Smith's Family, etc. etc. They all said: we
        can't get you as volunteers for 2 reasons:
        1. We have very heavy administration and document
        procedures to accept volunteers - insurance, safety
        and legal issues, etc.
        2. There is not much we can do without orders that
        follow the hierarchy and 'the order'.

        At the same time we KNEW people need help. (Who
        wouldn't if their house is burnt). So I thought
        apparently these big organisations with lots of
        documents, procedures, etc. restrict people to
        get/give help. When it comes to individuals the big
        things are useless... We called the local ABC radio
        and they pointed us where to go. There was a lot of
        work to be done, but we did it not because of the big
        'methodologies', but DESPITE them...

        I find this a good analogy from my own experience,
        that has triggered me to look for small things that do
        care about individuals, have less documentation, less
        hierarchy and heavy procedures and actually do the
        job. Sounds like XP :)

        Maia

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
          On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 9:44:23 PM, Maja Hristozova wrote:

          > What attracted me to do master's thesis on XP was..
          > maybe I should give the following background
          > history...

          Good deep reasons for being interested. What is it about XP itself that
          appeals to you?

          You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers
        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
            Maja Hristozova sez:

            > I find this a good analogy from my own experience,
            > that has triggered me to look for small things that do
            > care about individuals, have less documentation, less
            > hierarchy and heavy procedures and actually do the
            > job. Sounds like XP :)

            I used this site...

            http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=extremeprogramming

            to find the post below my sig about "non-profits".

            There was another excellent thread once where a lady trying to coordinate some
            kind of social work had the usual thicket of un-pruned VB forms. I can't
            remember her name but I wish she'd report back.

            --
            Phlip
            http://www.greencheese.org/MayorZogg

            Subject: [XP] Re: XP and part-time volunteers
            From: "kevinbsmith" <kevinxp () qualitycode ! com>
            Date: 2002-03-22 21:37:20
            [Download message RAW]

            --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Rolf Nelson" wrote:
            > What if nonprofits used Pair Programming to team one of
            > their full-time engineers with a series of short-term,
            > part-time volunteer programmers?

            As a full-time programmer at a non-profit, this is certainly
            interesting to me. We have been trying to figure out how to
            integrate volunteer programming help into our mostly-XP
            project, but so far haven't come up with something that feels
            good.

            The first problem is that many volunteer programmers are not
            interested in doing XP. Of those who are, many are not local.
            Ok, so let's imagine we have a small pool of local XP
            developers. Now what?

            Internally, we have tried having some staff allocated to the
            project on a part-time basis. Those that have worked on the
            project less than one day per week have not really benefitted
            the project. It takes them so long to get back up to speed
            each week that they can't really contribute much for that
            session.

            [Side notes: This project is in a language and environment that
            are not familiar to most of our staff. Also, there is really one
            core developer (me), and I tend to be pretty good at solo XP
            development. So a pair has to provide some pretty solid benefits
            to actually help the project.]

            Based on our internal experiences, I would be concerned that
            volunteers who are not willing to deeply immerse themselves
            in the project, at least for a few weeks at a time, might slow
            the project down more than speeding it up. Perhaps the benefits
            are highly project-dependent?

            I'm certainly interested in hearing more thoughts on this. Has
            anyone tried part-time developers in a profit or non-profit
            setting? Are there hoards of XP developers itching to volunteer?

            Kevin

            P.S. I'm curious where you (Rolf) are located geographically.
          • pntva <pntva@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2003
              I will be glad to help you with respect to limitions of XP. There
              are too many. You may wish to go through some of my previous posts
              on this forum regarding limitations of XP.

              By the way, I am a little confused. Isn't a thesis supposed to
              be "original work." instead of a "survey" of existing work? Or maybe
              the standards for a thesis have dumbed down since I graduated. I
              guess if you are not a computer science student, it maybe alright to
              have a thesis on XP. Otherwise (if you are a computer science
              student), I would sincerely hope that no one gives you a job
              doing "computer science work" since by doing a thesis on XP you are
              not really contributing anything to the field of computer science.

              On the other hand, if you are a MIS (masters in information systems)
              type of student then I think your thesis has a good topic.

              In anycase there are enough employers out there who like to hire
              people who are good at "bullshitting." So if you do a good job of
              bullshitting in your thesis (as is implied by the area of your
              thesis: XP), then I am quite sure you will get hired somewhere to
              bullshit 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, along with
              standard doze of vacation and sick days.

              I sincerely hope this is helpful to you in some way. On my side I
              hope that you would rethink the area of your thesis.

              Good luck with thesis and life in general

              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Razeeyah"
              <razeeyah@i...> wrote:

              > I am doing my degree thesis on XP .. and i'm
              > in fact designing a s/w to track and manage
              > an XP project .. I am also doing huge research
              > work on XP itself and its limitations and extensions ..
              >
              > kamil
              >
              > Ali,
              >
              > > I am planning to have master's degree on XP. Unfortunately, I
              > > dont have any precise subject on my mind. Could anyone advise me
              > > thesis title.
              >
              > I'm curious why you have chosen XP for your master's thesis. What
              is
              > it about XP that interests you?
              >
              > --Dave

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Andrew Forward
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2003
                Hmmm, interesting comments.

                I do not recall the original posting describing the individuals intent with
                a masters, but I would like to highlight a few things in your posting below.

                `````````````````````

                "Isn't a thesis supposed to be "original work." instead of a "survey" of
                existing work?"

                Yes a thesis is original work - but that doesn't mean it has to be entirely
                invented - nor will you pass if it is. First off, how will you know if
                something is original unless you have a firm grasp on the existing? This is
                important because the originality comes from understanding what has been
                done and then either building on top (somewhat that is original), building
                alternatives (again, usually original), etc.

                For instance, my masters thesis combined areas of computer science almost
                completely un-related to one another, and to my topic - yet the final
                product was quite unique. Also note that I began my work with a survey of
                existing practices :-)

                `````````````````````

                "I would sincerely hope that no one gives you a job doing "computer science
                work" since by doing a thesis on XP you are not really contributing anything
                to the field of computer science."

                Wow. Personally, I cannot believe how much the formalization of XP has
                improved my understanding of efficient software processes - but also opened
                my eyes to the simple fact that untested software is not working software.
                I am especially glad for the notion of TDD ( as well as its name change ).

                `````````````````````

                "So if you do a good job of bullshitting in your thesis (as is implied by
                the area of your thesis: XP), then I am quite sure you will get hired
                somewhere to bullshit 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, along
                with standard doze of vacation and sick days."

                Again, wow. I am not sure if it is your intent, but the reply seems overly
                aggressive.

                andrew f

              • banshee858 <cnett858@san.rr.com>
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 17, 2003

                  > By the way, I am a little confused. Isn't a thesis supposed to
                  > be "original work." instead of a "survey" of existing work? Or
                  maybe
                  > the standards for a thesis have dumbed down since I graduated. I
                  > guess if you are not a computer science student, it maybe alright
                  > have a thesis on XP. Otherwise (if you are a computer science
                  > student), I would sincerely hope that no one gives you a job
                  > doing "computer science work" since by doing a thesis on XP you are
                  > not really contributing anything to the field of computer science.

                  A master's thesis is not required to be completely original. That is
                  what a Ph.D. is for. It is perfectly acceptable for a master's
                  student to continue a line of existing research or base their
                  research on a technique proposed by others. The time, knowledge and
                  experienced required to create, propose and defend an original
                  contribution to science is an unfair requirement for a program that
                  is expected to be completed in 2 - 3 years.

                  Master's students are very good for validating existing technologies
                  or techniques in different domains or reworking a previous
                  experiement using a new technology or technique unavailable at the
                  time of the original experiment. Granted, at institutions like MIT,
                  Berkeley, CalTech, et al, atmaster's thesis there is like a Ph.D. at
                  most other universities, but hey, that is why they are MIT, CalTech
                  and Berkeley.