RE: [XP] Re: Master thesis on XP

  • Razeeyah
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2 7:10 AM
      I am doing my degree thesis on XP .. and i'm
      in fact designing a s/w to track and manage
      an XP project .. I am also doing huge research
      work on XP itself and its limitations and extensions ..

      kamil

      Ali,

      > I am planning to have master's degree on XP. Unfortunately, I
      > dont have any precise subject on my mind. Could anyone advise me a
      > thesis title.

      I'm curious why you have chosen XP for your master's thesis. What is
      it about XP that interests you?

      --Dave

      ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2 7:16 AM
        Dave sez:

        > I'm curious why you have chosen XP for your master's thesis. What is
        > it about XP that interests you?

        Razeeyah sez:
        > I am doing my degree thesis on XP .. and i'm
        > in fact designing a s/w to track and manage
        > an XP project .. I am also doing huge research
        > work on XP itself and its limitations and extensions ..

        Objection. Non-responsive.

        Dave was asking for an opinion, not facts.

        --
        Phlip
        http://www.greencheese.org/YaAw
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2 7:38 AM

          --- "Dave Hoover <dave@r...>" <dave@r...> wrote:
          > I'm curious why you have chosen XP for your master's thesis.
          > What is it about XP that interests you?

          I think this is a good question, as it would be good to devote time
          and effort to something that interests you.

          What do you think is most difficult or troubling about software
          development?

          - If you think that finding and interpreting requirements is most
          difficult, you might want to focus on how short release cycles and
          the priority-driven Planning Game contribute to early feedback and
          testing of our understanding of requirements.

          - If you think that software reliability is or will be a big issue,
          you might focus on user and developer automated regression testing.
          Does Test Driven Development result in high coverage metrics?
          What's the difference in coverage and effectiveness of testing
          between ad-hoc and XP-style regression testing -- particularly when
          changes are made after initial development?

          - Does the question of effective use of tools and techniques
          concern you? If so, you might want to look at how Pair Programming
          distributes knowledge of "best practices" through a team.

          There are many things you could study and write about. You're
          likely to be most successful if you focus on those that interest you
          the most.
        • Maja Hristozova
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2 6:44 PM
            What attracted me to do master's thesis on XP was..
            maybe I should give the following background
            history...
            During the fires in Canberra (more than 500 houses
            burnt) we wanted to help and called a couple of huge
            organisations such as the Salvation Army, the Red
            Cross, Smith's Family, etc. etc. They all said: we
            can't get you as volunteers for 2 reasons:
            1. We have very heavy administration and document
            procedures to accept volunteers - insurance, safety
            and legal issues, etc.
            2. There is not much we can do without orders that
            follow the hierarchy and 'the order'.

            At the same time we KNEW people need help. (Who
            wouldn't if their house is burnt). So I thought
            apparently these big organisations with lots of
            documents, procedures, etc. restrict people to
            get/give help. When it comes to individuals the big
            things are useless... We called the local ABC radio
            and they pointed us where to go. There was a lot of
            work to be done, but we did it not because of the big
            'methodologies', but DESPITE them...

            I find this a good analogy from my own experience,
            that has triggered me to look for small things that do
            care about individuals, have less documentation, less
            hierarchy and heavy procedures and actually do the
            job. Sounds like XP :)

            Maia

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2 7:40 PM
              On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 9:44:23 PM, Maja Hristozova wrote:

              > What attracted me to do master's thesis on XP was..
              > maybe I should give the following background
              > history...

              Good deep reasons for being interested. What is it about XP itself that
              appeals to you?

              You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers
            • Phlip
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2 9:36 PM
                Maja Hristozova sez:

                > I find this a good analogy from my own experience,
                > that has triggered me to look for small things that do
                > care about individuals, have less documentation, less
                > hierarchy and heavy procedures and actually do the
                > job. Sounds like XP :)

                I used this site...

                http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=extremeprogramming

                to find the post below my sig about "non-profits".

                There was another excellent thread once where a lady trying to coordinate some
                kind of social work had the usual thicket of un-pruned VB forms. I can't
                remember her name but I wish she'd report back.

                --
                Phlip
                http://www.greencheese.org/MayorZogg

                Subject: [XP] Re: XP and part-time volunteers
                From: "kevinbsmith" <kevinxp () qualitycode ! com>
                Date: 2002-03-22 21:37:20
                [Download message RAW]

                --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Rolf Nelson" wrote:
                > What if nonprofits used Pair Programming to team one of
                > their full-time engineers with a series of short-term,
                > part-time volunteer programmers?

                As a full-time programmer at a non-profit, this is certainly
                interesting to me. We have been trying to figure out how to
                integrate volunteer programming help into our mostly-XP
                project, but so far haven't come up with something that feels
                good.

                The first problem is that many volunteer programmers are not
                interested in doing XP. Of those who are, many are not local.
                Ok, so let's imagine we have a small pool of local XP
                developers. Now what?

                Internally, we have tried having some staff allocated to the
                project on a part-time basis. Those that have worked on the
                project less than one day per week have not really benefitted
                the project. It takes them so long to get back up to speed
                each week that they can't really contribute much for that
                session.

                [Side notes: This project is in a language and environment that
                are not familiar to most of our staff. Also, there is really one
                core developer (me), and I tend to be pretty good at solo XP
                development. So a pair has to provide some pretty solid benefits
                to actually help the project.]

                Based on our internal experiences, I would be concerned that
                volunteers who are not willing to deeply immerse themselves
                in the project, at least for a few weeks at a time, might slow
                the project down more than speeding it up. Perhaps the benefits
                are highly project-dependent?

                I'm certainly interested in hearing more thoughts on this. Has
                anyone tried part-time developers in a profit or non-profit
                setting? Are there hoards of XP developers itching to volunteer?

                Kevin

                P.S. I'm curious where you (Rolf) are located geographically.
              • pntva <pntva@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 16 12:10 AM
                  I will be glad to help you with respect to limitions of XP. There
                  are too many. You may wish to go through some of my previous posts
                  on this forum regarding limitations of XP.

                  By the way, I am a little confused. Isn't a thesis supposed to
                  be "original work." instead of a "survey" of existing work? Or maybe
                  the standards for a thesis have dumbed down since I graduated. I
                  guess if you are not a computer science student, it maybe alright to
                  have a thesis on XP. Otherwise (if you are a computer science
                  student), I would sincerely hope that no one gives you a job
                  doing "computer science work" since by doing a thesis on XP you are
                  not really contributing anything to the field of computer science.

                  On the other hand, if you are a MIS (masters in information systems)
                  type of student then I think your thesis has a good topic.

                  In anycase there are enough employers out there who like to hire
                  people who are good at "bullshitting." So if you do a good job of
                  bullshitting in your thesis (as is implied by the area of your
                  thesis: XP), then I am quite sure you will get hired somewhere to
                  bullshit 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, along with
                  standard doze of vacation and sick days.

                  I sincerely hope this is helpful to you in some way. On my side I
                  hope that you would rethink the area of your thesis.

                  Good luck with thesis and life in general

                  --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Razeeyah"
                  <razeeyah@i...> wrote:

                  > I am doing my degree thesis on XP .. and i'm
                  > in fact designing a s/w to track and manage
                  > an XP project .. I am also doing huge research
                  > work on XP itself and its limitations and extensions ..
                  >
                  > kamil
                  >
                  > Ali,
                  >
                  > > I am planning to have master's degree on XP. Unfortunately, I
                  > > dont have any precise subject on my mind. Could anyone advise me
                  > > thesis title.
                  >
                  > I'm curious why you have chosen XP for your master's thesis. What
                  is
                  > it about XP that interests you?
                  >
                  > --Dave

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Andrew Forward
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 16 5:57 AM
                    Hmmm, interesting comments.

                    I do not recall the original posting describing the individuals intent with
                    a masters, but I would like to highlight a few things in your posting below.

                    `````````````````````

                    "Isn't a thesis supposed to be "original work." instead of a "survey" of
                    existing work?"

                    Yes a thesis is original work - but that doesn't mean it has to be entirely
                    invented - nor will you pass if it is. First off, how will you know if
                    something is original unless you have a firm grasp on the existing? This is
                    important because the originality comes from understanding what has been
                    done and then either building on top (somewhat that is original), building
                    alternatives (again, usually original), etc.

                    For instance, my masters thesis combined areas of computer science almost
                    completely un-related to one another, and to my topic - yet the final
                    product was quite unique. Also note that I began my work with a survey of
                    existing practices :-)

                    `````````````````````

                    "I would sincerely hope that no one gives you a job doing "computer science
                    work" since by doing a thesis on XP you are not really contributing anything
                    to the field of computer science."

                    Wow. Personally, I cannot believe how much the formalization of XP has
                    improved my understanding of efficient software processes - but also opened
                    my eyes to the simple fact that untested software is not working software.
                    I am especially glad for the notion of TDD ( as well as its name change ).

                    `````````````````````

                    "So if you do a good job of bullshitting in your thesis (as is implied by
                    the area of your thesis: XP), then I am quite sure you will get hired
                    somewhere to bullshit 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, along
                    with standard doze of vacation and sick days."

                    Again, wow. I am not sure if it is your intent, but the reply seems overly
                    aggressive.

                    andrew f

                  • banshee858 <cnett858@san.rr.com>
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 17 8:56 AM

                      > By the way, I am a little confused. Isn't a thesis supposed to
                      > be "original work." instead of a "survey" of existing work? Or
                      maybe
                      > the standards for a thesis have dumbed down since I graduated. I
                      > guess if you are not a computer science student, it maybe alright
                      > have a thesis on XP. Otherwise (if you are a computer science
                      > student), I would sincerely hope that no one gives you a job
                      > doing "computer science work" since by doing a thesis on XP you are
                      > not really contributing anything to the field of computer science.

                      A master's thesis is not required to be completely original. That is
                      what a Ph.D. is for. It is perfectly acceptable for a master's
                      student to continue a line of existing research or base their
                      research on a technique proposed by others. The time, knowledge and
                      experienced required to create, propose and defend an original
                      contribution to science is an unfair requirement for a program that
                      is expected to be completed in 2 - 3 years.

                      Master's students are very good for validating existing technologies
                      or techniques in different domains or reworking a previous
                      experiement using a new technology or technique unavailable at the
                      time of the original experiment. Granted, at institutions like MIT,
                      Berkeley, CalTech, et al, atmaster's thesis there is like a Ph.D. at
                      most other universities, but hey, that is why they are MIT, CalTech
                      and Berkeley.