Re: [XP] Process Smells [Was: Function points and XP]

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2003
      Jessica Luchesi sez:

      > Fortunatly, we have a new director in the local office board, and he
      > wants to change things a bit:) Maybe we should expect to see more room
      > for XP programmers in here soon:)

      Farbeit from me to complain "not accepting XP is a sure sign of bad
      management", but...

      Statistical Process Control teaches us the difference between steering and
      over-control. In the former you sample data over a long period, then use it
      to make small adjustments. In the latter, you read each data point and then
      immediately make large adjustments. Response wanders all over the map, kind
      of like the US Justice "system".

      SPC is >said< to have lead to CMM[I], but I wouldn't know anything about that.
      Of course fretful managers wishing they had control might use CMM (and XP) to
      beat people over the head with...

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.greencheese.org/HatTrick
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2003
        True:) Having Quality Assurance doesn't mean you have a GOOD quality
        assured for your products... just that their quality is assured to
        remain the same, as well as the processes involved in producing them. I
        personally think ISO900* for a software company is something useless...
        but again, if I recall, only the two teams I drescribed do not
        correspond to the standard software quality they deliver... usually they
        deliver crappy software that will be delivered much later than expected,
        and not attending what the client needs:) So, I believe ISO falls pretty
        well here... you can be assured to get crappy software from buying from
        them:)

        Fortunatly, we have a new director in the local office board, and he
        wants to change things a bit:) Maybe we should expect to see more room
        for XP programmers in here soon:)

        Jessica

        Phlip wrote:

        >Jessica Luchesi sez:
        >

        >> But we are an exception. The company has an ISO 9001 certification,
        >>

        >Firestone has an ISO 900x certification. Guess this should have meant >all< of
        >their tires should have exploded...

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2003

          Yep, see http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,46179,00.html

          --
          George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2003
            Hi Jessica,

            I don't disagree with anything you wrote about Function Points, including your point that it might not have been suitable for my project since I had no database access.

            That said, the premise of my paper, the main thing that I took away from the experience, is that while FPA can be great for estimating a project, Function Points were lousy as a measure of iteration velocity.

            Thanks for the feedback and additional info on your project.

            andrew fuqua