Re: [XP] Re: Open ended iterations/releases

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2003
      From: <cnett858@...>

      > I think the customer does not feel the fixed length iterations match
      > up with their business priorities/deadlines. By alternately
      > expanding and contracting the release, they can add/remove features
      > for the release that fit what they want to give to their customers.

      When tuning a feedback-dampened system, there's a fine line between control
      and over-control.

      In Statistical Quality Control, over-control is bad. Imagine if you operate
      the machine making ball-bearings, and you sample each batch and measure
      them. Now imagine if you respond to >every< sample by changing the machine's
      settings.

      The machine's quality will wander all over the place. This is
      "over-control".

      XP gives sufficient control and steering to the customer side. But the "2
      week iteration" rule falls under "sustainable pace" - it's on the
      developers' side of the Bills of Rights. If the customer can't get feature
      sets they can ship every month, they should just go to 1 week iterations.

      > My pace/velocity is getting messed up and my acceptance testing
      > coverage is not as solid as I hope. I hope by fixing the iteration
      > lengths and release plans, I can get a better handle on the velocity
      > and be more predictive.

      Right. You have observed the effects of over-control.

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.greencheese.org/MayorZogg