Re: [XP] Looking back

  • Bryce Kampjes
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 1, 2003
      "Laurent Bossavit <laurent@...>" <laurent@...> writes:
      > > If subsystem X supports three features A, B, and C, and a
      > > change is made in X to support some new twist in A, and this breaks
      > > the functional tests for B and C, well, this isn't even really
      > > screwing up -- it's just normal human lack of omniscience.
      >
      > And, perhaps, normal human lack of design competence; one might want
      > to make the "new twist" in A and the parts of X that were relevantly
      > changed more cohesive together and less coupled with all the rest of
      > the system ?
      >
      > I suspect, but it's only a vague and inarticulate hunch at this
      > point, that there's a tension between "looking back" in this way
      > and "going forward" with the design. Something like, if it takes that
      > much work to understand why something broke, then it's indeed no
      > one's fault but a sign that the design needs mending.

      I like that sort of tension. In fact when I'm stuck I deliberately
      create it because resolving the tension is how I get my best
      insights.

      Bryce
    • John Brewer <jbrewer@jera.com>
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 5, 2003
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Caroline Foster
        <carolinefoster@y...> wrote:
        > Did I miss something?!~
        >
        > I regard it as a basic programmer's right that I should be able to,
        at any
        > time, check out all the source code and build it.

        I don't think anyone was saying you shouldn't. Just that when you go
        into production, you need to be a little more careful. How much more
        careful depends on your application.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design

        Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html