Re: Suitability, advantages and disadvantages of using an agile method such as X

  • Ron Phillips
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
      Phlip said

      >The HTML culture barely comprehends testing. So anything sent to the >end
      >of the lifecycle just might get skipped. The site looks okay, so >publish
      >it.

      Can't argue with that. It seems that OOP is essential to XP, and HTML isn't
      OO.

      The best Pseudo-OOP (or, POOP) approach I have found so far is Fusebox,
      which makes it POSSIBLE to employ encapsulation. Fusebox provides a
      "TestHarness" for Unit Testing, and some tools for collecting user stories
      in a site-structured way. I think some Agile techniques will be applicable.
      (Just getting started myself.)

      There is also CFObjects, which is not widely adopted, but which does do
      objects in ColdFusion.

      Ron Phillips

      http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
    • Laurent Bossavit <laurent@bossavit.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
        > Can't argue with that. It seems that OOP is essential to XP, and
        > HTML isn't OO.

        On the other hand, there's no law prohibiting you from using
        Smalltalk, Java, Eiffel or C# to generate HTML.
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
          Ron Phillips sez:
          > Phlip said
          >
          > >The HTML culture barely comprehends testing. So anything sent to the >end
          > >of the lifecycle just might get skipped. The site looks okay, so >publish
          > >it.
          >
          > Can't argue with that. It seems that OOP is essential to XP, and HTML isn't
          > OO.

          Uh, HTML has an L on the end, but it's a declaration, not a Turing-complete
          "language". Think of it as just a variable your system outputs.

          > The best Pseudo-OOP (or, POOP) approach I have found so far is Fusebox,
          > which makes it POSSIBLE to employ encapsulation. Fusebox provides a
          > "TestHarness" for Unit Testing, and some tools for collecting user stories
          > in a site-structured way. I think some Agile techniques will be applicable.
          > (Just getting started myself.)
          >
          > There is also CFObjects, which is not widely adopted, but which does do
          > objects in ColdFusion.

          And if these tools had themselves been developed test-first..?

          --
          Phlip
          http://www.greencheese.org/MayorZogg