Re: [XP] Looking back

  • Laurent Bossavit <laurent@bossavit.com>
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 1, 2003
      > If subsystem X supports three features A, B, and C, and a
      > change is made in X to support some new twist in A, and this breaks
      > the functional tests for B and C, well, this isn't even really
      > screwing up -- it's just normal human lack of omniscience.

      And, perhaps, normal human lack of design competence; one might want
      to make the "new twist" in A and the parts of X that were relevantly
      changed more cohesive together and less coupled with all the rest of
      the system ?

      I suspect, but it's only a vague and inarticulate hunch at this
      point, that there's a tension between "looking back" in this way
      and "going forward" with the design. Something like, if it takes that
      much work to understand why something broke, then it's indeed no
      one's fault but a sign that the design needs mending.

      Cheers,
      Laurent
    • John Brewer <jbrewer@jera.com>
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 5, 2003
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Caroline Foster
        <carolinefoster@y...> wrote:
        > Did I miss something?!~
        >
        > I regard it as a basic programmer's right that I should be able to,
        at any
        > time, check out all the source code and build it.

        I don't think anyone was saying you shouldn't. Just that when you go
        into production, you need to be a little more careful. How much more
        careful depends on your application.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design

        Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html