Adventures in C#: Digression -- WordCount

    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 20, 2002
      Adventures in C#: Digression -- WordCount
      Ron Jeffries
      12/16/2002

      These chapters are supposed to add up to a book. And my publisher wants to
      know when they're going to get it. I need to get estimates of word counts for
      the chapters to have a sense of progress. Here's a digression to get the word
      counts.

      http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/acsWordCount.htm

    • Charlie Poole
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 1, 2003
        Ron,

        > > I thought I just did, with the echo server example, but we have a
        > > philosophical misunderstanding, that's all. I don't believe in the
        > > unit test/customer test way of thinking. I believe you need a
        > > continuum of tests. I was trying to use NUnit for partial system
        > > testing. Since I'm just getting started with NUnit and TDD, I'm not
        > > completely sure that pushing NUnit that far is a good idea. I'd like
        > > to try other solutions and experiment some more.
        >
        > Yes, definitely, you do need a continuum of tests. And you're right to
        > experiment to find your own sweet spot.
        >
        > In XP, the programmer test / customer test distinction serves a different
        > purpose. Programmer tests provide confidence and mobility to the
        > programmers.
        > Customer tests provide confidence to the customers, and information about
        > requirements to the programmers.
        >
        > Those two forms of tests are there to provide balance between
        > programmer and
        > customer subteams. Wise programmers have a broad enough continuum
        > of tests to
        > make failure in the customer tests very rare. This increases
        > customer confidence
        > in the team. That's a very good thing.

        Gee, you said that so much more succinctly than I did... usually
        I read ahead before replying.

        Charlie Poole
        cpoole@...
        www.pooleconsulting.com