Think With Your Gut

  • Chris Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2002
      Read this article this morning. Has some cool agile references -- nothing
      new at all, but thought I'd pass it along (may have already been posted, my
      delete/read ratio is pretty high lately, in fact I'm certain some of the
      notes in here I've read elsewhere):

      http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,44584,FF.html

      "...firefighters don't weigh alternatives: They simply grab the first idea
      that seems good enough, then the next, and the next after that. To them it
      doesn't even feel like "deciding." "

      "...the Marines tried their hand at trading on simulators, and to no one's
      surprise, the professionals on the floor wiped them out. A month or so
      later, the traders went to the Corps's base in Quantico, Va., where they
      played war games against the Marines on a mock battlefield. The traders
      trounced them again -- and this time everyone was surprised.

      When the Marines analyzed the humbling results, they concluded that the
      traders were simply better gut thinkers. Thoroughly practiced at quickly
      evaluating risks, they were far more willing to act decisively on the kind
      of imperfect and contradictory information that is all you ever get in war.
      "

      Chris
      http://clabs.org