Re: [XP] Writing simple software - A Challenge!

  • Edmund Schweppe
    Message 1 of 139 , Dec 1, 2002
      Kevin Smith wrote:
      > It would be great to see an edition of Writing Solid Code updated to at
      > least deal with C++, if not Java. I'm afraid much of the current book
      > would be useless, and perhaps even incomprehensible, to people who are
      > not adept with C.

      I'd personally love to see both _Writing Solid Code_ and McConnell's
      _Code Complete_ come out in updated second editions. Unfortunately, I've
      no idea what Steve Maguire is up to nowadays. (Steve McConnell is just
      winding up his stint as editor of IEEE Software, and has said that he
      wants to invest more energy in his company.)

    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 139 of 139 , Dec 7, 2002
        So said ericheikkila on 12/4/2002 --------------------

        >Single letter variables drive me nuts. ;)
        >I use 'index' instead of 'i' (or loop, or maybe count, depending on
        >the context).
        >As far as abbreviations go...if the entire team agrees, fine.
        >If someone on the team doesn't know that itr is the same as iterator,
        >just change it to iterator.
        >
        >Usually, I'll not abbrev ;)

        Often, "i" means something. Say what you mean; mean what you say. :)

        J. B. Rainsberger,
        President, Diaspar Software Services
        Let's write software that people understand.
        http://www.diasparsoftware.com/
        telephone: +1 416 791-8603
        All correspondence (c) 2002 Diaspar Software Services.
        If you want to use it, just ask; don't steal.