Re: [XP] Eliminate Exceptions (was: Writing simple software - A Challenge!)

  • Edmund Schweppe
    Message 1 of 139 , Dec 1, 2002
      Phlip wrote:
      > > > Well, would you explain more about not throwing them?
      > Nothing personal, but this might possibly be a VB symptom. In that language
      > there are plenty of things that you simply can't do without throwing an
      > exception and catching it, locally, as an elaborate 'if' statement. Things as
      > simple as test if a given key is found in a collection.

      Yep. Irritating as all get-out; that's why I tend to make my own
      Collection classes and include a boolean Contains() function therein.

      > So VB teaches programmers to use exceptions to define normal control flow.

      *Some* programmers, perhaps ...

      > -- Founding member of NuGWa -
      > Nudists for Global Warming --

      Note to self: If the above catches on, invest in suntan-lotion makers...

    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 139 of 139 , Dec 7, 2002
        So said ericheikkila on 12/4/2002 --------------------

        >Single letter variables drive me nuts. ;)
        >I use 'index' instead of 'i' (or loop, or maybe count, depending on
        >the context).
        >As far as abbreviations go...if the entire team agrees, fine.
        >If someone on the team doesn't know that itr is the same as iterator,
        >just change it to iterator.
        >
        >Usually, I'll not abbrev ;)

        Often, "i" means something. Say what you mean; mean what you say. :)

        J. B. Rainsberger,
        President, Diaspar Software Services
        Let's write software that people understand.
        http://www.diasparsoftware.com/
        telephone: +1 416 791-8603
        All correspondence (c) 2002 Diaspar Software Services.
        If you want to use it, just ask; don't steal.