Re: [XP] Eliminate Exceptions (was: Writing simple software - A Challenge!)

    Message 1 of 139 , Dec 1, 2002
      On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 4:28:10 PM, Kyle Cordes wrote:

      > It all depends on how you need the collection to work, of course. I
      > wasn't trying to make any point at all about situations like this one.
      > Rather, if you send in a query like this:

      > People select 879548w49s^%45 )-d6b7s4p7-0s3b70b 9 8sy90 r9u r

      > Of if you send in a well-formed query, but this collection has some kind
      > of database behind it, I'd much appreciate a meanigful exception rather
      > than an empty set. I want an empty set to me "I understood the
      > invocation, it made sense, and nothing met the criteria"; I don't want
      > it to me "Either I understood and nothing met the criteria, or it's a
      > totally incorrect invocation, or the database was down, or I could't
      > load a file, or any of 100 other things went wrong".

      Sure.

      "Simple Design", whatever it turns out to be, isn't everything.
      Certainly "Meeting Requirements" is another thing, as is "Not Too
      Surpassingly Odd", and "Able To Be Used To Do My Job".

      I think that eliminating exceptions is an important aspect of Simple
      Design. It might not be applicable, depending on those other things

      He who will not apply new remedies must expect old evils. -- Francis Bacon
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 139 of 139 , Dec 7, 2002
        So said ericheikkila on 12/4/2002 --------------------

        >Single letter variables drive me nuts. ;)
        >I use 'index' instead of 'i' (or loop, or maybe count, depending on
        >the context).
        >As far as abbreviations go...if the entire team agrees, fine.
        >If someone on the team doesn't know that itr is the same as iterator,
        >just change it to iterator.
        >
        >Usually, I'll not abbrev ;)

        Often, "i" means something. Say what you mean; mean what you say. :)

        J. B. Rainsberger,
        President, Diaspar Software Services
        Let's write software that people understand.
        http://www.diasparsoftware.com/
        telephone: +1 416 791-8603
        All correspondence (c) 2002 Diaspar Software Services.
        If you want to use it, just ask; don't steal.