Writing simple software - A Challenge!

  • John Carter
    Message 1 of 139 , Nov 26, 2002
      I have just generated the Doxygen docs for somebodies project.

      My gut feel when looking at the tangled #include graphs was "Gack! This is
      becoming a <a href="http://www.laputan.org/mud/mud.html#BigBallOfMud">Big
      Ball of Mud</a>

      What I want is a good book on "Writing Software that is as Simple as can
      be, (but no simpler)" so I can give it to my colleagues. (After I had a
      good read myself...)

      Challenge to the Group!

      Compile a list of items that should be in such a book, I'll summarise on
      the Wiki.

      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
      New Zealand

      Good Ideas:
      Ruby - http://www.ruby-lang-org - The best of perl,python,scheme without the pain.
      Valgrind - http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/ - memory debugger for x86-GNU/Linux
      Free your books - http://www.bookcrossing.com
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 139 of 139 , Dec 7, 2002
        So said ericheikkila on 12/4/2002 --------------------

        >Single letter variables drive me nuts. ;)
        >I use 'index' instead of 'i' (or loop, or maybe count, depending on
        >the context).
        >As far as abbreviations go...if the entire team agrees, fine.
        >If someone on the team doesn't know that itr is the same as iterator,
        >just change it to iterator.
        >
        >Usually, I'll not abbrev ;)

        Often, "i" means something. Say what you mean; mean what you say. :)

        J. B. Rainsberger,
        President, Diaspar Software Services
        Let's write software that people understand.
        http://www.diasparsoftware.com/
        telephone: +1 416 791-8603
        All correspondence (c) 2002 Diaspar Software Services.
        If you want to use it, just ask; don't steal.