[XP] Re: Going beyond XPForOne

  • kevinbsmith
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2002
      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Ron Jeffries" wrote:
      > On Tuesday, November 5, 2002, at 7:58:25 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
      >
      > > Both partners did provide some excellent
      > > pairing help--questioning my assumptions,
      > > suggesting simplifications, spotting errors,
      > > reminding me to adhere to the practices, etc.
      > > But progress was slow. It felt slow, and it
      > > measured slow. I would have been willing to
      > > take that hit if I felt that things would
      > > improve over time. But I didn't see that
      > > happening over the course of several weeks,
      > > in either case.
      >
      > It's interesting that it slowed you down. I'm sure
      > that it doesn't slow me down. Certainly I might go
      > more slowly in some absolute coding sense when I'm
      > paired, but when I'm alone I do more debugging and
      > generate worse code, which slows me down over even
      > the medium term.
      >
      > Tell us more about what you mean by "measured slow"?

      Velocity was lower when I paired with these particular people than
      when I worked solo.

      Like you, I tend to spend more time debugging when working solo than
      paired. I also make some poor design choices that a pair would help
      avoid, and I occasionally take a bad shortcut such as skipping a test.
      But I often move faster (short and medium term) solo.

      > Yes. Almost anyone seems to improve my productivity.
      > I'm not sure whether, with an inexperienced pair, the
      > /two/ of us would get more or less done working alone.
      > I'm sure that /I/ would get more done working together.

      Very interesting.

      With certain pairs, we get more done together than I get done by
      myself. With other pairs, progress is much slower. I will keep your
      words in mind next time this happens, so I can try to "fix" it, or at
      least to understand it better.

      I would be interested to hear from other people who have had mixed
      results.

      Kevin