Re: [XP] Approaching XP-in-the-large

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2002
      On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 04:05, Brad Appleton wrote:
      > > The way most compatible with XP would be to convert one pair to
      > > XP and get that running perfectly. Then you add another pair [...]
      >
      > That's one way. I'm not sure if its the "most compatible" in terms of
      > time.

      Ah, I meant most compatible with XP's style: start small, increase
      incrementally, listen closely, polish continuously.

      This pattern is visible at many levels in the XP process; I'm just
      wondering if we should also follow it for XP adoptions.

      > Another way is the kind of work Ron Crocker is doing in his "Grizzly"
      > method. Rather than try to homogeneously change all the
      > individuals/teams to get an XP-domino effect, how about trying to get
      > the effects of XP at the project-wide level, even for a large project
      > consisting of many teams?

      I'll take a look at his work. My fear is that it would take an
      organization much longer to get the XP spirit that way; quick feedback
      is a big aid to learning new skills, and starting at the largest scale
      means you're changing the slowest loops first.

      Here's a question for the crowd. What practice first gave people the
      "Aha, I get this XP thing!" experience? For me, it was the ones with the
      tightest feedback loops:

      http://extremeprogramming.org/map/loops.html

      Perhaps that's why starting with those makes more sense to me.

      William

      --
      brains for sale: http://scissor.com/